Raymond is the gateway to the beautiful Willapa River and Bay. Set in the midst of lush forested lands, Raymond is located in one of the most fertile tree growing regions in the world. The heritage of the region is reflected in the Heritage-Wildlife Sculpture Corridor. While in Raymond visit the Willapa Seaport Museum, the Northwest Carriage Museum and the Willapa Public Market (open May through September). Raymond received its name from L.V. Raymond, the first postmaster of Raymond. The town was incorporated on August 4, 1907. In the early years, Raymond's business section was built on stilts five or six feet above the tidelands and sloughs that crisscrossed the site. Elevated sidewalks and streets connected most of the buildings. Raymond claimed a population of 6,000 in the year 1913 and had a reputation as a wild and wooly lumber mill town. City fathers resisted the unwanted reputation with promotions of Raymond as "The Empire City of Willapa Harbor" and "The City That Does Things".